Friday, March 18, 2011

...Everyday is a NEW day...

...people ask me how is Syd doing...I never know what to say.   I wish that I could learn to say..."she's doing great" and just go on.  Everyday is a new day. 

Before Syd was diagnosed, I had NO idea what Type 1 Diabetes was, nor did I know what it entailed everyday.  Today, I wish that I still didn't know....

This is Sydney's "typical" day....

6:30am           Wake up, Check blood sugar, take Lantus (long acting insulin) shot

7am                Breakfast, count carbs eaten at breakfast (we count carbs to know how MUCH insulin to  give).....Humalog shot

9:30am           Check blood sugar....(if low she needs a snack to bring it up/if high may need another shot)

11:30am         lunchtime, check blood sugar before lunch, count carbs eaten at lunch, Humalog shot

1:30pm           Check blood sugar........(will need to treat if low or high)

3:45Pm           Arrive at babysitter from school/Check blood sugar....(she usually has a snack)

6pm                dinnertime, check blood sugar before dinner, count carbs eaten at dinner, Humalog shot

8pm                 Check blood sugar, Syd's level must be above 115 before bed, or we have to have a snack before going to sleep....if she is low, we may have to check at midnight and again during the night.

If her blood sugar is low or high during the day....we have to treat it....it may be getting a snack, getting another shot, checking her urine for keytones, drinking some water, exercising, call her Diabetes Team.....whatever is needed to get her numbers into range....normal blood glucose range is 80-140.  At times Syd has been as high as 493 and as low as 53.

If her blood sugar is below 60.....she HAS to be treated, if she goes too low, she could have a seizure or become unresponsive.  Lows are what scare me....

If her blood sugar is high/over 240...she HAS to be treated, if she goes too high, her body could get sick & over time this can damage various body organs.

These are all things that we have to do daily to manage Sydney's diabetes...they are NOT an option.   So, if you happen is ask me..."How is Syd doing?"  Well, the answer is she is doing great, she is almost 7 yrs old and handling all these "things" daily like a trooper......I am so thankful for the strength God has given her and I couldn't be more proud of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment