Saturday, May 14, 2011

...it is official...PUMPING HAS BEGUN

So.....We started pumping on April 30th...a beautiful Saturday afternoon.  We had a fun....but somewhat stressful day.   Having a blowout on the way to Children's Mercy was NOT on the agenda of the day....but it happened & we got through it...Maybe that was God's way of letting us know that even when Life throws you a curve, you accelerate through it...and then pull over &  change your tire....lol

I love, love, ,love the pump so far.   I don't however love, love, love Sydney's numbers right now....BUT, that too will change when we get her insulin settings adjusted....this too shall pass  :o)  So, if you ask me how she is doing...she is doing GREAT....just don't ask about her numbers  :o)  I realize too that as she grows, gets sick, weather changes...and the WIND blows...we will continually be making adjustments.

For those of you that "think" a pump solves everything...THINK AGAIN!!!   We still have to check her blood glucose & actually we are checking it MORE right now, due to night checks...I am sure you have heard me mention "night checks"....We have to check her blood glucose every 2 to 3 hrs during the night.  So, we have alarms set for 11:55pm....2:55am....and 5:55am.........Which means that we have been extremely tired & trying to get back to sleep is not an easy task.

When she eats ANY foods with carbs....we have to enter that info into her pump & give her the appropriate amount of insulin...it doesn't do IT itself.    Some of the reasons we went to the pump.....NO shots, 1 poke (like a shot) every 2 days....and the pump allows us to give Sydney EXACTLY the amount of insulin that she needs....when we were giving shots, we could only dose in 1/2 unit increments....the pump allows us to give insulin in increments of   0.025......yes...not 0.25 but 0.025....AMAZING  :o)  The insulin pump is said to be the "gold" treatment for Type 1 diabetics...and I want the BEST for my daughter.

Going back to school the Monday after getting the pump was an exciting, but daunting experience.....it was like starting ALL over.   Here I was....just learning everything & then trying to teach everyone that I needed to, what to do...   I think that I did OK....I HOPE that I did OK.   I think that I made 5 trips back and forth to school that day & ended the day with a meeting with some of Sydney's teachers and other appropriate school staff.   I ended up typing a "step by step" on how to use the pump, in between my trips....all I really wanted was a nap that day....lol

The last couple weeks have kind of flown by....most days I feel like I am sleep walking...doing everything in "auto pilot".   I am learning that most people don't and won't EVER realize what it is like to be the parent of a child with Type 1 diabetes....I wish that I didn't know.   I do KNOW that I am strong, and when I feel weak...GOD will lift me up & give me strength...

The reality that THIS is Sydney's Life....hurts.   It hurts because I cannot fix it....I am her MOM....I can usually fix most things....this one is in God's hands.   I am trusting Him with her path....God.....keep her Safe...keep her Strong...keep her Brave...and never let her Sunshine fade....

1 comment:

  1. Now this is hghly recommeded post for me. I will surely email this to my friend, Regards, Young Ai

    Click here for Medical id bracelets for kids

    ReplyDelete