Monday, April 18, 2011

...counting down....momma is getting nervous

Today is April 18th....12 days & we will be at Children's Mercy to learn how to work Sydney's insulin pump.  The person showing us the "ropes" said that we will likely be there 1-2 hours & walk out the door pumping....
Seriously....1-2 hrs.  Ok, I will just "go with it".   But, not the least bit afraid to say...."I am scared!!!!"

I know that the pump will be so much better for Sydney....we can be more precise on her insulin doses.  It is hard to get "precise" when you only have the option of half unit increments.  Syd is excited about not having 4 shots a day  :o) 

But that fear is settled in my belly......am I making the right choice?  Is this the "right" time? Why am I having so many doubts????!!!!!

It is a BIG step...a GIGANTIC step..... I  have to trust that God has gotten us this far & he will get us through this change....

Guess I better get to reading these insulin pump manuals that I keep pushing off to the side...they sure aren't going to read themselves....

2 comments:

  1. Yes. It is a BIG, GIGANTIC step and you have every right to be nervous! Brandan got his pump about a year ago and I had all the same fears as you. Are you making the right choice? YES! Will it work out? Well, PROBABLY, but you don't know if you don't try!

    Betty, I won't lie, the first few weeks are tough. But you have a great support system in the DOC. Stay strong and patient and give the pump time to do it's job. When all the settings are set correctly you'll see a big improvement in your, and her, daily life.

    And, if by chance, she is the rare case that the pump does not benefit her, you've LOST NOTHING. But, just the chance to gain some freedom and better BG control is worth the time and effort. GOOD LUCK TO YOU BOTH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an adjustment at first, but once you get use to it and get all the settings right... you will LOVE the freedom it gives you.

    I looked at it this way(and it helped)... I have the perfect place in the closet to keep it for a while if we don't like it. :)

    ReplyDelete