Saturday, April 16, 2011

It's "fine" & will be "fine"....but it's NOT OK...

How's Sydney?  How's her numbers?  Is she under "control" yet?   Some of my many "not so favorite" questions....

Oh & welcome to the REAL world.....Diabetes is something that is managed 24/7.....365 days a year.  Is is never under control, you have to manage it every hour of every day to ensure that she is as healthy as she can be.

Imagine not having a heartbeat....would you stop CPR & let your child, or anyone for that matter, die?   Diabetes management (checking bg's, administering insulin, counting carbs, eating a healthy diet, and getting regular exercise) is like CPR.  If you don't continue to administer it.....your child could have life long complications.  Diabetes doesn't take a day off, an hour off....just because you are tired or forgot...it is there all the time.

She is fine, we are fine, it will continue to be "fine".......it is NOT OK....she is almost 7 yrs old & for the rest of her Life....will have to count carbs, take shots or use an insulin pump, check her bg multiple times a day.....Seriously, why....... WHY can they not find a CURE for Diabetes...how is this fair to the thousands of children that have to endure these things their whole Life.

Easter is next weekend...unfortunately one of "those" holidays that stores seem to "think" center around candy.  Great!!!  Not!!!  At least it is giving us the opportunity to get back to the "real" meaning of most holidays....

So....I guess the reality is... its my job to make it OK for Sydney.....and I do my best everyday.  Whether I am planning her meals, talking to the school nurse, talking with Children's Mercy, checking her bg at 3am, etc., etc., etc........  YES, people do live long, healthy lives with Type 1 Diabetes...but, they do so because they or their parents (if they are little bits) are managing it daily!!!! 

...but some days it is NOT OK for me.  Thinking about all that she has to endure & will have to endure her whole Life.   Its my job to make sure that she does NOT know my fears for her...Its my job to educate her on making good choices, so that she can have a very long, happy, successful, healthy Life.  I have NO doubt that she will, she is strong, she is amazing....she is my SUNSHINE.  

2 comments:

  1. Well, I hope you feel a little better after getting that out there.

    I still get my son some candy for his Easter basket. I NEVER buy the pre-made baskets because they are full of junk he shouldn't eat and just too much of it. I buy a few of his favorite candies and some little toys and make the baskets up myself.

    I know it sucks that they can't pig out on candy like the other kids, but they still enjoy their holidays. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Trish...
    Sorry...one of those moments....taking a deep breath & knowing it is really OK.... Thank you

    ReplyDelete